From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:55:12 -0400
On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Phosphor wrote:

> i'd have to look up the GIycemic index  to check, but from what i remember
> raw carrots are pretty high, and cooked carrots are higher than sugar. but
> depends on the amount..30 grams of carrot woul dbe ok, 100 grams maybe not.

This is why the glycemic load is probably more relevant than the
glycemic index.  The GI measures the effect on insulin holding
the the utilizable carb content constant at 50g.  The GL divides
that by "serving size." Example: to get 50g of carb from raw
carrots, you'd have to eat 645g of them, which is about 1.4 lbs.,
to get the insulin effect shown in the GI table.  But most people
don't eat carrots in such amounts.  The GL table lists a serving
of carrots as 80g, which is a little less than 2/3 of a cup.  In
this amount, the effect on insulin is very small, corresponding
to the amount of carb in a serving.

Note that one has to get used to a different range of what counts
as "high" and "low" GL.  Browing the list (at
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm), I get the impression that
"low" GL is anything less than about 10.  Fruits, for example,
seem to have a standard serving size of 120g, which seems about
right (That's the size of a medium banana or 3/4 cup of berries,
roughly).  The average GL of fruits (except for dried fruits)
seems to be about 5.  But bananas are higher, with a GL of about
14, depending on where they're from.  For comparison, the GL of a
can of Coke is also 14.

> the easy test, as i believe it, is to see for how many hours afterwards
> before you get hungry again.  paleo man would have gone without a meal maybe
> for a couple of days. it might be too much for us to adapt to that, but i
> think you should be able to eat 2 times a day. sometimes i can do this,
> sometimes not.

Same here.  Since I am almost invariably hungrier in the evening,
regardless of what I have eaten at the last meal, I think the
light/sleep cycle has something to do with it as well.

Todd Moody