From:
Michelle Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:33:27 -0500
I've eliminated grain/sugars several times with nearly 100% success with
acne each time (I was never 100% perfect and any breakout usually followed
eating/drinking something with grain).  I did include quite a few nuts.  I
also had a habit of eating scoops of natural peanut butter when hungry and
that did not affect my acne.

I have been eating very, very poorly lately (going through a divorce--lots
of ramen noodles--yuck) and have a few big zits and bumpy skin and
blackheads.  I eliminated grains and sugars again starting yesterday and
already those big zits swelling went down quite a bit.  Can't wait until
they're gone.

I read a little on the internet today and some sites said that people who
had little success with conventional acne treatments often have a wheat
sensitivity that causes acne.  My acne never was terrible--I would classify
it as moderate; however, no treatments ever seemed to put even a tiny dent
into it.  Eliminating grains, especially wheat, seemed to be the only thing
that worked.

I would imagine that acne has multiple causes.  For some people, wheat might
be a trigger.  For others, dairy.  I seem to be able to eat dairy without
having breakouts; on the other hand I knew somebody with clear skin who
broke out when she went on Atkins, probably because she started eating a lot
of cheese.  I can even eat a moderate amount of sugar and not break
out--wheat seems to be the biggie for me.