From:
Craig Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:11:40 -0400
Tom wrote:

>> It's generally agreed that ketosis results in bad smelling breath. Seems
>> to me that if paleo man ate so few carbohydrates that he was in ketosis
>> all the time, a preference for the smell of ketones on the breath would
>> have been passed down, rather than an aversion.
>
>Not necesarrily. If you get fruit in the summer, no ketosis
>breath, then have sex, then your kids are born 9 months
>later, in the spring. Pretty good timing if you ask me.
>
>Besides, if all you ever smelled was ketosis breath, you
>might think it was pretty nice. People can get used to
>anything, for the sake of sex.  ;--)

Not only that, but apparently our species finds---or used to
find---body odor and particularly underarm stench to be quite
alluring, or else we wouldn't have kept hair growing in our musky
regions in order to trap our sweat, when we evolved from our
cousin apes and shed our hair from most of our body.

So maybe *we* don't enjoy ketobreath any more than we enjoy
unwashed pits, but perhaps our ancient forebears did.

.:. Craig