Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:32:43 -0400
Wally Day said:

I feel pretty good about my 'paleoism', with one
exception. I enjoy and daily drink coffee. Can anyone
suggest a decent substitute? I've tried various teas,
but I can't seem to find one with a similer enough
flavor.

We used to make a brew from roasted dandelion and roasted chicory, available in the bulk
herb-spice section of some natural foods stores (you can buy it by the ounce).  It looks a
lot like coffee grinds.  You can brew it in a percolator (we had a stove top kind) or a
coffee maker.  I believe we used about 1 Tbsp. per cup of purified H20.  It was dark,
strong, bitter like coffee, and many our dinner guests enjoyed it.  You can vary the
amounts of the chicory and dandelion.  We used to used roasted barley too--but don't now.

Hope it helps.

Rachel

PS  You could try coconut milk if you like(d) cafe au lait! :-)