From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:01:02 -0400
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 23:27:48 -0400 Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> I don't see how these can be considered paleo. They are
fermented from milk meant to nourish a baby animal of a
different species, not a person.

Ardeith writes:
Does anyone here know how long that African tribe....(Zulu?)
has been using fermented milk?   They keep cows and also
bleed them for the nutritious blood.  They were still a "Stone
Age" culture when modern Europeans discovered them. They
use metal tipped spears to defend their herds from lions now,
but originally had only pointy sticks or maybe flint-tipped
spears.......so, herding was not beyond the skills of "Stone
Age" peoples..........sheep and goat herding is an older art.

What can we really know about what our Stone Age ancestors
ate and drank except by looking at the peoples of the world who
were still living in a "Stone Age" when Europeans *discovered*
them?    Native Americans (who didn't have cows), Africans,
Australian aboriginals, Pacific Island tribes........all of these were
essentially  Stone Age when Europens encountered them.......and
some of them planted crops with nothing more than a pointy stick
to dig with......or the shoulder blade of a moose......

We need to remember that it's called the "Stone Age" because few,
if any, of the wood or bone tools the people may have used were
preserved.....only stone tools lasted to be found 40K years
later...........
I suspect human knowledge of planting and later harvesting
is far older than scholars currently believe........

Consider the banana......you have to re-plant the shoots that
spring up from the roots of the plant......you can't grow bananas
from seed.....I've read that bananas originally came from India
and may have been carried back to Africa by a Homo erectus
type traveler.....now, that's a long time ago.....and why would
such a  traveler bother carrying plants on such a long hike if the
principals of planting weren't well known?  I've read that it may
have taken thousands of years to develop the banana plant.....

I'm having a Cronemoment here, and don't remember where the
cave is that held the remains of the original maize plants.....Mexico, I
think......but the scholars were able to track the development
of corn/maize from a tiny cob-like thing up to the sort of
corn the Hopi planted a couple of hundred years ago......
which is very different than it was before modern agriculture
started changing it..........Now, depending on when you
believe the first humans came to live in N.America, they
were systematically planting the stuff with pointy sticks,
rocks, and bones a very long time ago.......

Richard wrote:
But I doubt this would be an every day drink and cannot see
how we are suited to consume it on a regular basis, speaking
paleolithically.

Ardeith writes:
That African tribe does......but my own ancestors did not.
My ancestory fermented barley and perhaps rye....in old
England and Ireland......maybe I should re-consider the
value of drinking beer.....but, honestly!....it makes me
imagine what mule p**s might taste like!

Richard wrote:
Isn't tea a fairly common traditional drink?

Ardeith writes:
I don't know what was traditional for teas in other
parts of the world....but I do know that the Native
American tribes used things that we hardly consider
suitable for "tea" nowadays......pine needles, oak
leaves, tree barks of many sorts, roots of many
kinds......But, yes, I'd thing teas would be Paleo...
since you can boil water in a hide "pot" as long
as you keep the fire below the level of water in

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.