From:
Blue Rider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 22:34:12 -1000
JoAnn Betten wrote:

> >I must admit to being astounded at the prices people will pay for
> >something that they can make themselves for 1/4 the price for something
> >better.
>
>         if a person has never in their life eaten (let alone even seen or
> tasted) pemmican, and they followed the recipe and made some, how would they
> know if it had turned out all right or if they had goofed up monumentally?
>         by comparing their homemade pemmican to someone else's, that's how.
>         do i personally know anyone close by who makes pemmican? No.
>         so what else do i compare it to?
> if mail-order pemmican is all i have access to, then that's it
>
> >Jackie Blue
> >a frugal, not to say cheap, woman
>
> JoAnn
> a novice pemmican maker, not to say stupid, woman

I see your point.  I didn't mean to imply anybody was stupid; I was just
appalled at the price.
There are some great recipes for pemmican on the Web, mostly from
buckskinners and mountain men.  This stuff is so simple it's really hard
to go wrong making it.  There isn't any "right" way to do it as long as
the ingredients are thoroughly dried and there's enough fat to cover
everything else.
Let me know how you make out.

Aloha
Jackie Blue