Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:28:10 -0400
Rob asked:
>Do you feel that the risk of pathogenic organisms in meat and poultry is
>reduced in free-range/grass fed animals?

There is more than a feeling that you reduce the risk of pathogens
with
grass fed meats.  There is solid reserach to  back it.

Here is an exerpt from an article my husband wrote on grassfed animnal
products, explaining whey they are better.  The article explains about
the
increased content of vitamin E, carotenoids, EFAs, CLA, and other good
things when animals are fed on grass and hay rather than grain.  If
you can
afford it, and it doesn't always cost more, it's wise to select grass
fed
meat over grain fed meat, even if the graid fed meat or poultry is
organic.
If that is not possible, choosing hormone and antibiotic meat and
poultry is
the next best thing, preferably from a small, local farmer.

Bye Bye E. Coli

When animals are raised on grains, they become host to the deadliest
strain
of E. coli bacteria; the National Academy of Sciences estimates that
one of
every three grain fed cattle is infected with this strain.  Grain fed
animals have bacterial counts over 300 times that of  animals that are
fed
pasture and hay and little or no grain.  In contrast, pasture fed
animals
have practically no detectable levels of the most dangerous, acid
resistant
strains of E. coli.   Grain carbohydrates feed the growth of acid
resistant
E. coli; grass and other pasture foods do not.  Consequently, grass
fed
animals do not need to have antibiotics as a supplement to their
diets.

NOTE: There is a fantastic article in the July 2000 issue of
Smithsonian,
vol. 31, issue 4, p. 64.  It's 12 pages long---fascinating,
entertaining
reading, skillfully written with wit, wisdom, vim and vigor.  It's
about
Joel Saliton, a pioneer in the grass fed movement.  Salitan has
written
books and created videos for people who want to raise animals in a way
that
mimics their feeding practices in nature.  His farm is ecological,
efficient, and profitable without subsidies, drugs, or harm to nature.
His
meats are super nutritious and popular.  THIS ARTICLE IS MUST READING.
You
can surely access it on line or get your librarian to find it.  I
don't have
time to find the links and all that, but I wanted to share this.

Also visit <www.eatwild.com> if you've not been there.  We found a
grass
farmer within two hours of our house.  He is willing to deliver.  I've
found
customers for him to make his visits to us worthwile.  You may be so
lucky!
Or you may need to take a field trip!

Healthfull and good luck,
Rachel