From:
Julie Jarvis RPA-C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:15:30 -0600
Gliadin from gluten does go through breastmilk.  I don't have the
sources  on the research studies, but it is well documented.
Breastfeeding is associated with lower risk of celiac disease as well as
other inflammatory bowel conditions(as well as a host of other food
related illnesses-I could go on and on!).  I posted this question to a
Lactation Consultant list and got several responses.   Babies with known
or suspected celiac disease or gluten intolerance, or even a family
history of it would probably benefit by their mothers avoiding gluten
containing foods.

Here's an article of interest on this topic about celiac disease in
Sweden and breastfeeding practices:
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/3156/celiac.htm

Please send me any other breastfeeding/paleodiet questions-- will be
glad to research them for you.  I do all lactation consulting at our
hospital.

Julie Jarvis RPA-C   mailto:[log in to unmask]