From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:43:15 -0400
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Gawen Harrison wrote:

> One of main bleatings of the vegetarian crowd is that humans can only handle
> 3-5 ounces of meat at one time. I have never seen any research that supports
> that statement.  I only get "everyone knows that's true," whenever I ask
> anyone about that statement.
> Does anyone have any info on that subject.

No, but I have searched for it.  Sears (the Zone guy) also makes
this claim, and I have gone to the Zone web site and asked for
references, but not gotten an answer.  I do remember reading that
the insulin response to protein, which is usually about 40% that
of carbs, increases as one consumes more than 5 ounces, but I
can't remember where I read it.

Five ounces of lean meat is about 35g of protein.  Eating more
than that might increase the insulin response, but so will adding
carbs.  That 35g is only about 140 calories, so to make a meal
*something* will have to be added.  You could add just fat, I
suppose, but I suspect you'd be hungry rather soon.

Todd Moody