From:
"S.B. Feldman, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:26:32 EST
Today's Topic: Live Enzymes From Your Food

This is a myth that refuses to die.  Some people advocate the
consumption of raw plants that contain "live" enzymes to aid in
digestion.  Well, if these enzymes were really important in digesting
food, wouldn't the plant digest itself?  The enzymes our stomach and
pancreas make to digest most of our food are not found in plants.  In
fact, our own digestive process actually digests the enzymes in the
food we eat.  Enzymes in food are not active in our body.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Some older people may
not produce enough enzymes to digest large portions of food
comfortably.  They may require supplements of pancreatic enzymes, not
those from plants.  The confusion comes from a few exceptions.  There
are some enzymes in plants that can help break down some food
components.  One common example is from pineapple, which contains an
enzyme that prevents the setting of gelatin.  But none of the enzymes
from plants can duplicate the body's digestive enzymes.

(This story originally appeared in Nutrition News Focus on
April 1, 1999.)