From:
Trish Tipton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:16:41 -0800
Michelle Wiedemer  writes:
>What can I do when I get
> really hungry?

Michelle, when I get super hungry and can't wait to cook, I open a can of
tuna and mix with an extra amount of paleo mayo.  Its rather quick and
easy.  I don't know if tuna is a trigger for you with nausea.  I only
experienced *morning sickness* a few times, usually in the afternoons.

> 2. Aversion to most veggies I used to like, example
> broccoli, cabbage, etc (way too much gas!). I'm left
> with salads, when I feel up to it, and carrots. What
> else can I try?

How about asparagus?  they are on sale now in most stores.  I bought some
for .89 a pound last week. You can try jicama, its a bit to prepare, peel
and cut, or peel and eat.  Tastes like an apple, I eat nightshades, so
there are tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant, radishes,  all of which taste
good raw.  Eggplant, when bought small, has a light sweet taste.  All,
btw, are good dipped in paleo mayo or the tuna mixture.

> 3. I'm finding this diet very expensive.  And with a diet based on
>meat, nuts, and fruit, there isn't much opportunity for using coupons or
>achieving a beans and rice budget! Any suggestions on economizing?

 In the beginning, I too found the diet expensive,  but when I stopped
shopping in the middle of the store where all the packaged foods were, I
saved about $50 a month.  Instead of steaks, i buy a HUGE  roast.  About
a 13 pounder. I ask the butcher to cut into 4 smaller roasts for me. Many
do not charge extra for that.  Some will even slice into steaks for you.
I save about $2 a pound when buying the large roasts.  If your butcher
wont slice into steaks for you,  place the roast in the freezer for about
an hour,  then slice into your desired thickness.  the slightly frozen
meat, cuts easier.   For eggs, I buy a flat at a time. They are cheaper
that way. Get your weekly ads a day or two before you shop and buy what
they have on sale. If they have chicken and Ground beef on sale,  then
eat those for the week, if its pork and turkey next week, eat those. Last
week they had turkey on sale for .29 cents a pound.  I bought 3 huge
turkeys. They averaged $4.50 each.  I hope this helps....
Trish