Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:34:25 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>> Chocolate is an easy one -- eat it if you want it, but make sure it's plain, unsugared chocolate.  Unsugared chocolate is fairly bitter -- you probably won't want more than a couple of bites.
>>

> I understand what you're getting at Robert.  But since it's not paleo,
> it shouldn't be eaten at all, although I suppose that a little might not
> hurt too badly.  But this is not the miracle food we want it to be.
>
> Here's an interesting article on this drug:
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1603927.htm
>
> Jim

As I recall, we had some discussion on this list a while back about how
cocoa is clearly related to a common used food item in Africa, the Kola
Nut which would definitely be paleo.  Since I'm not hyper strict paleo
(If if couldn't have been eaten by our African ancestors before they
left Africa, then it not paleo) I find it more than acceptable to
consume.  However, my preference is raw organic cocoa sweetened with
stevia (an American sourced product that I haven't looked into as to
origins).

Its in the Sterculiaceae subfamily which includes Theobroma Cocoa
(Americas) and Kola Nut (Africa)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterculiaceae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacao
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_nut

The article your referenced Jim just talks about some study (quality?)
on depression using processed chocolate with plenty of sugar.
Theobromine is found in much higher concentrations in raw organic cocoa
and I do find it can be a pick-me-up to some degree (contrary to the
article) while the PEA in cocoa has it's benefits too.  One can now
purchase just PEA if they want but it doesn't appear to have any
noticeable effect on me.  Others however a pleased with the results of
using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenethylamine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine

In scanning these articles, I "relearned" that theobromine works as a
very effective cough suppressant, something I'm going to keep in mind
next time I get a cough.  Besides raw organic cocoa which I use
occasionally, I keep on hand some cocoa supplements from vitacost.com
(NSI brand) that contains 10% theobromine.  I was taking a small amount
every morning with my daily supplements (not enough to make one more
alert, but enough to get some of the researched benefits) until I ran
out - waiting for more stock.  I've been known to use the product when
driving long distances.

Steve