From:
Mermaid Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:12:15 -0700
This may sound simplistic.  But could it be that when eating out of a bag of nuts, you eat lilke when you have a bag of cookies or popcorn...you just dont stop, because you are also addicted to having something crunch in your mouth.  I know that if i have a small bag of popcorn at the movies vs a large one, they both satisfy me..... when the bag is done, it;s done.
Lillian

Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 Anbody have any ideas why nuts stimulate/increase appetite in at least three of us (or more?) on this list.

> I have gorged on nuts as well. I think the problem is related to the
> fact
> that nuts contain phytic acid, like grains and legumes. If I don't
> degrade
> the phytic acid in the rye I eat, I seem to eat much more of it and get
> hungrier sooner.
>
> Fredrik,

Frederik,

Do you know any more about why phytic acid might encourage overeating?
Does the phytic acid in nuts prevent absorption of nutrients (am I
right in saying that is what causes the problem in grains)?

Ash