From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:32:59 -0500
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:30:37 +1100, Dean Pistilli
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't normally smoke, but at times when I have a colitis flare up,
>smoking is one of the "tricks" I can use to reduce inflamation and stop the
>flare up.. nicotine has been proven for some weird reason to stem off UC.

My mother das collitis for years and died of cancel in the follow up of
this.
The doctors said that -for some strange reason- colitis is a disease not
found among smokers.

I always wondered if this stamement could be explained by a connection that
colitis developping persons died very quick from smoking.
What you said, now displayed that it must be else.
Some kind of inflammation suppression ability.
Of tobacco smoke.

Smoke from a fireplace was quite frequently present for prehistoric people.
Under open air (paleolithic) it might have been not so strong.
But in a cave or under a rock (abris) it could have been quite strong.
The glacier mummy oetzi (or frozen fritz) had lungs black from smoke.
I have seen them.
They had no chimmneys.

regards,
Amadeus