From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:54:33 +0000
Re cultural mentions:- I wasn't referrring to their culture but to their technology.

Re assumptions:- 1) well, assuming that building spaceships is a worthy cause is self-evident. After all, without spaceflight humankind is eventually doomed to extinction along with all other life on Earth. Arguments against spaceflight tend to fall flat in the face of this fact.

2) Re pyramids:- Given the influence of Ancient Egypt on the rest of the Ancient World and the inspiration they inspired in the modern world, it's rather difficult to discount their importance.

3) Re writing:- Claiming that heat-transfer technology is the same as inventing writing or gunpowder isn't remotely valid. That does not mean the Inuit are a lesser people. It simply means that because of their harsh environment and their hunter-gatherer lifestyle, they were prevented from achieving some of the gains produced by various agrarian civilisations.

Re stagnation:- A society can stagnate in aspects other than language. I was specifically referring to technology. That is, Inuit technology didn't advance to any significant extent since they arrived in the Arctic 1000s of years ago. Granted, they didn't NEED to advance technologically as they were fully adapted to their environment.

Rev Margaret Meade:- Meade was one of the biggest frauds of all time in the field of anthropology. Derek Freeman debunked her absurd ideas re Samoan society(though he was rather too polite in calling her work the result of a hoax rather than as the scientific fraud it really was). Her crime was to falsely associate with the Samoans all sorts of trendy views which she felt that Western society should have embraced at the time but hadn't. She was the ultimate  proponent of the "Noble Savage" theory. Here's some info re Meade:-

http://www.newsweekly.com.au/books/0813336937.html

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/archive/permalink/margaret_mead_and_the_samoans/

Derek Freeman's book is here:-

http://www.amazon.com/Margaret-Mead-Samoa-Unmaking-Anthropological/dp/0140225552

 Re "As for your assertions that the evolution of technology could not have
> happened any other way than it did, your perspective is limited by your
> own inability to imagine an alternative.":-

I'm afraid that's just misguided. The primary reason why hunter-gatherers never needed to advanced technology beyond the immediate need for survival was because they were fully  adapted to their environment so they didn't feel the need. Neolithic-era peoples, for various reasons, had to advanced in terms of technology or die. Wild tribes, on the other hand have various incentives to avoid setting up settled communities or advancing technology, such as the fact that overpopulation in one specific area greatly lowered opportunities re non-agrarian foods etc. In short, the irony is that their very adaptation to their environment has been the reason for their lack of success re fighting off invading agrarian peoples all over the world.

But that's all by the by. I'm personally very grateful for Inuit culture/society as it helped me to think more favourably re  a raw palaeolithic diet. I just don't like the undue romanticism that some in the raw diet community have re the Inuit or other tribes like the Masai.

Re William:- given that he is so fond of embracing completely unsupportable theories such as Creationism and the Noble Savage theory, it is perfectly understandable that others might take him to task for this.

Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/