From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:18:29 -0500
> I would agree with this except that supplements don't seem to do anything.
>
> William

I disagree:

Vitamin C has noticeable effects for many, including me. It helps me breath
better, seems to reduce allergy symptoms somewhat.

Flaxseed oil and/or cod liver oil supplements seem to do quite a bit. It
improves my skin, reduces allergy symptoms, and makes me feel better over
all.

Magnesium has an effect you can feel. I take it for the occasional headache.
After taking about  400mg of elemental magnesium a headache often disappears
in a few minutes.

Vitamin E may have not noticeable effects, but it would seem to help reduce
lipid peroxidation esp in the cell walls. There is evidence is could reduce
danger of blood clots (as in deep vein thrombosis, or  "economy class
syndrome") by "thinnning the blood".

Supplemental folate and various B vitamins reduce homocysteine levels that
may be linked to heart disease. You can't feel these but the effect is said
to be noticable through blood tests.

CoEnzyme Q10 can improve the health of the gums and its effect is said to be
quite noticable in reducing pocket depths for people with periodontal
problems.

These are a few examples. I think there is lots of evidence that supplements
"work".

--Richard