From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:29:50 EDT
In a message dated 3/12/2007 4:35:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

No matter. The damage is done. And another chapter is added to the mythology
that a chocolate product can do more good for our health than bad.
I'm not sure why we are discussing choclate since it is decidedly NOT paleo
but what the heck, I'll throw my 2 cents in because I love it -- real chocolate
that is. Like the articles mentioned,  99% of what is called "chocolate" or
even "dark chocolate" in America is pure crap...ladened with sugar, milk fat,
mystery proteins and artificial fats and flavorings.  I think many people think
they love chocolate but really love the sugary sweet taste of fake chocolate.
 Chocolate is supposed to be bitter, not cloyingly sweet.  Added sugar
detracts from the flavor of the chocolate.  For me, the more bitter the better. I
adore chocolate and find that the items listed below do not create sugar
cravings and fatigue the way most fruits do -- probably because the carb count is so
low.  So for those such as myself who simply cannot resist this decidedly
non-paleo treat -- I highly recommend the following in moderation of course:

1)Lindt 99% Noiresime or Cluizel 99% chocolate -- both are so intense that a
teensy amount is very satisfying -- technically, they contain sugar but hardly
any and certainly far less than grapes or bananas or other sugary fruits.
The satiety factor is due to the fact that these products are high in fat and
very low in sugar/carbohydrate.

2) Cocoa Bean Nibs - cocoa beans that are available raw or fermented and
whole or chopped up -- these are naturally completely sugar free and again, teensy
amounts are extremely satisfying -- by teensy I mean 1 or 2 teaspoons make a
nice crunchy snack or add interest to salads, soups etc.

3)  Cocoa made with water, 1 tablespoon unsweetened organic cocoa powder, big
dash of cayenne powder, dash of grated vanilla and dash of grated cinnamon --
I drink totally unsweetened but others may prefer to alter recipe by adding
stevia or making it with coconut milk. When made with water and spices -- it's
not your mamma's cocoa!

http://www.aol.com.