From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:30:28 -0500
I piqued my own interest by theorizing (after reading the ADHD article) that
inconsistent results when eliminating and then re-introducing a given food
may point to differences between/among cultivars themselves.  Gee, I thought
I'd had an original thought, but others beat me to it.  I found the info
posted below.

Am I correct to presume that maybe PaleoPeople (even though they likely ate
a greater variety of plant foods overall than we consume today) had more
uniformity of specific varietal diet than we have?  Maybe one variety of
apple in Eden ;-) instead of 5 or 15 or 25?   The selection disadvantages
for allergy are--physically, mentally, behaviorally--pretty obvious, so what
on earth would the advantages be?  To us, not the plants.

Are there any pro- or hobby Paleobotanists out there who can contribute
something?

Theola

P.S.  Oliva, I will send surgical wipes and sutures if you'll collect names
of the blood-letters.  :-)

P-P.S.  Who was it--Susan?--who was reacting to raw honey?  Check out "Oral
Allergy Syndrome" and the cross-reactive connection of tree pollen to
several common fruits.

varieties. Bummer.  However,  according to the disclaimer, "The reference
lists of the Allergen Data Collections are based mainly on searches of
Medline and FSTA (Food Science & Technology Abstracts) databases."

ALMONDS--Allergenicity of different varieties.

APPLE--Allergenicity of different varieites.
And from the forum:
"Golden Delicious and Granny Smith contained higher amounts of allergens
than McIntosh and Red Delicious (Study USA). According to another study in
Europe the allergen content of different apple varieties decreased in the
following order: Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jona Gold, Idared, Gala,
Jamba, and Gloster."
(Researcher Matthias Besler, PhD, Hamburg, Germany)

And from another poster:
"In the UK, the Cox's and Braeburn varieties are also "allergy-safe". That's
been my experience. In general, it seems that the more "leathery-skinned"
types like those two cause no problems at all. Funny, though; I just came
across this page: http://www.allergie-infodienst.de/nah/n0007.html  which
lists Braeburn and Cox Orange as being as high in the allergens as the
Golden Delicious and Granny Smiths."
[Note: I couldn't access the above link.]

Apple study goals:
http://www.akh-wien.ac.at/safe/objectives.html

HAZELNUT--Allergenicity of different varieties.

MANGO--Allergenicity of different varieties.

SESAME SEED--Allergenicity of different varieties

----------------
PubMed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

OLIVE
Carnes Sanchez J, Iraola VM, Sastre J, Florido F, Boluda L, Fernandez-Caldas
E.
Allergenicity and immunochemical characterization of six varieties of Olea
europaea.
Allergy. 2002 Apr;57(4):313-8.

Study from Spain involved Olive pollen, a common allergen in the
Mediterranean.  I've read elsewhere that pollen can be found in unrefined
oils.

DATES
Kwaasi AA, Harfi HA, Parhar RS, Collison KS, Al-Sedairy ST, Al-Mohanna FA.
Cultivar-specific IgE-epitopes in date (Phoenix dactylifera L.) fruit
allergy. Correlation of skin test reactivity and ige-binding properties in
selecting date cultivars for allergen standardization. Int Arch Allergy
Immunol. 2000 Oct;123(2):137-44.

Eighteen of the most commonly sold varieties of dates were studied for
differences in allergenicity.

AVOCADO
Blanco C, Carrillo T, Castillo R, Quiralte J, Cuevas M.
Avocado hypersensitivity.
Allergy. 1994 Jul;49(6):454-9.

Looks at two varieties--Hass and Strong--for differences in allergenicity.

WHEAT
Weiss W, Vogelmeier C, Gorg A. Electrophoretic characterization of wheat
grain allergens from different cultivars involved in bakers' asthma.
Electrophoresis. 1993 Aug;14(8):805-16.

Snorting wheat  :-) in a pre-baked state of being.

WHEAT & EGG
Kato Y, Oozawa E, Matsuda T.
Decrease in antigenic and allergenic potentials of ovomucoid by heating in
the presence of wheat flour: dependence on wheat variety and intermolecular
disulfide bridges.
J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Aug;49(8):3661-5.

Wheat kills eggs (and maybe you, too).

----------------------
 http://www.allergyresearch.org/allergy.html
DIFFERENCE DOES EXIST IN THE RESPONSE OF THE PATIENT TO DIFFERENT VARIETIES
OF EGGS AND CHICKENS
But I didn't find a specific citation on this.

-----------------------
PEANUTS
 http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2002/020405.htm
Cultivars with naturally lower levels of allergens could be crossbred
to develop a hypoallergenic peanut plant. Researchers have screened part of
the germplasm collection for Ara h 1 and have found major differences in the
levels of this allergen in
various cultivars.
 http://www.gapeanuts.com/101601research.htm
The research centers around a controversy of whether any peanut cultivars
exist that naturally lack, or have significantly reduced amounts of one or
more of the peanut allergens.

BEEF
http://www.nlh.no/forskning/nmf/english/english_version/biff0699eng.html
Therefore,  part of our further activities to study the large differences in
tenderness we find in Norwegian beef include studying the genetic variation
in calpastatin activity.
[Note: Nothing to do with beef allergy, but interesting because they're
going to breed to increase the level of an enzyme that makes beef tender.
Wonder what the implications of this will be???]

RICE
http://www.forumue.de/forumaktuell/positionspapiere/00000004.html
Genetic engineering will lead to the elimination of allergenic proteins from
food. In summer 1997 the German Ministry of Agriculture, supported by
influencial advisers, announced the successful development of Japanese rice
varieties "that do not any longer contain the allergenic protein" (BMELF
1997) and therefore "can be eaten by allergenic patients" (JANY 1997).
Through antisense technique a reduction of the content of the main
allergenic protein to ineffective levels had been made possible.
[Note: So rice, always said to be the most benign of grains and edible by
anybody, is allergenic after all.  For more info on this, go to
www.google.com  and type in "hypoallergenic rice".]