From:
"C. Loon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:13:24 -0300
>When I mentioned teflon pans being an alergy source,
>that was simply becazuse that is the kind of pan I use.
>Not because i've actualy heard of someone being alergic
>to teflon.
>
>R. Keene

I would venture to say that there is very little chance that
your meat would actually react with the Teflon coating on a pan. I am
a geochemist and have always used Teflon in my experiments
because its inert (nonreactive) character guarantees no
contamination - it won't react even with solvents or strong acids.
But don't use your pan if the Teflon is scratched or peeling.
Also, I have found some information that Teflon may emit fumes
if heated above certain temps. At http://theaviary.com/teflon.shtml
they discuss Teflon poisoning in birds from temperatures as low
as 285 degrees. Du Pont, a manufacturer of Teflon products, states
that Teflons "continuous service temperature" is 260°C (500°F),
though able to withstand highers temps for short periods of time.
Therefore I'd say don't heat your Teflon over 260, to be on the safe side.

Cheyenne