From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:21:55 -0500
Hi, Susan

or as the Cherokee say, "Osiyo" (say oh-see-yo) which means
"it is good to see you :)

My given name is tsayonah, meaning ThreeBears.  Cherokee
does not have upper and smaller case so that is why it is
not capitalized.  The word "elisi" is said ay-lee-see and is
a title meaning "grandmother."  It, or grandfather, is
applied to someone who holds office and/or is 40-50 years
old or older.  Either the name or title of both is
appropriate :)  If the person you are addressing is really
old (like 70-80), always use the title.  Ghigau (ghee-gow)
is the Cherokee word for the office I hold in the Band.  I
am the female Chief and I balance the 2 male Chiefs (White
and Red).  AniWodi (anee-whoa-dee) is my clan.  Again, sort
of an extended family relationship figured through the
mother.  AniWodi means "paint."  Our special responsibility
was to procure the red pigment for the ceremonial paint.
Many today do not know their clan affiliation.  Mine was
determined by a grandmother who has a divination ceremony
she has inherited from her mother and her grandmother before
her.  Some accept this ceremony as valid; some do not.

My Band (sort of an extended family in concept) is
headquartered in southern MO near Poplar Bluff.  The Saint
Francis River runs through this area and there have been
Cherokee documented there since 1721.  Where are you
located?  Anywhere near?  If not, perhaps I know some
Cherokee near where you are...

Please feel free to ask anything you wish and I will do my
best to answer.

Here are some links for Cherokee recipes:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8020/cherokee.html
http://www.wbir.com/Recipes/recipeIDdisplay.asp?ID=312
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/worldnativeam/nativeam8.html
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/worldnativeam/nativeam16.html
I'm sure there are many more out there - just run a search
on "Cherokee recipes"
REMEMBER, the Cherokee were NEOlithic - they combined some
farming (corn, squash & beans) with what they could hunt and
gather :)

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee