From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:20:29 -0400
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 07:58:45 -0400 Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> Please don't take it as an attempt to offend, more as an invitation
> to think. I think it's best to be concious about the things we do and
> put into our mouth. Why not know, what happens to the eyes of the cow?

And what makes you think that vegetarians are the only ones who "think"
about the foods they eat?  Personally, I don't really care what happens
to the eyes of a cow.  If someone wants to eat them, that's fine with me.
 If they end up with the inedible waste products, that's fine with me
too.  Maybe if someone killed a cow to eat only the eyes, and discarded
the rest of the carcass, I'd have an objection, but that's hardly the
case, is it?

It is clear to me, both through "argument" and through my personal
experience, that MEAT is the only food that is truly necessary, natural,
and acceptable to my body.  Other foods can also be beneficial (and
tasty), but none are as essential as the flesh of dead (preferably)
animals.  I will not argue with someone who refuses to use animals for
food for "ethical" reasons.  Through "modern" knowledge and technology,
it is possible for them to get an acceptable (if not ideal) amount of
nutrition through a vegetarian diet, and even if it turns out to be to
their own detriment, that is their right.

However... when it comes to pushing the idea that man is NATURALLY
vegetarian, or that a vegetarian diet is somehow "healthier" than one
that is primarily based on "meat," it's long past time to put that
nonsense to rest...  We've all given considerable thought to our diets
(especially those on this list), and I think it is inappropriate for you
to imply that people who eat animals are in need of further "thinking,"
or an increased level of "consciousness," or that vegetarians are some
higher form of intelligence.  Just as you came to analyze the propriety
of eating animals at some point in your life, so do most people.  The
fact that you find difficult to accept is that for most people, the
thoughtful, conscious decision is to continue eating animals...

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.