From:
Judy Denham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 15:43:28 +0000
I found this newspaper article about Inuit prisoners, brought from the north
to Ontario, which I thought you might find interesting since they're often
mentioned on this list. The warden said that they had to learn about them.
"We learned they are lactose intolerant, there are no cows in the north and
no root vegetables. If you fill them full of french fries and hamburgers,
they get sick very fast. We fly in caribou, arctic char, seal and bear meat
which they cook themselves".

On the day the reporter was there, it was -10C (8F)  and the prison staff
were well bundled up against the cold but the Inuit men were wearing only
thin cotton shells over short sleeved T shirts. In another article I read
about Inuit seal hunters, they mentioned that they had bare hands in -30C
(-22F) weather but didn't feel the cold as long as they ate their native
diet.

I noticed that this winter, since taking fish oil, I didn't feel the cold
too much even though we had very cold weather and I was outside a lot caring
for my animals.

Judy