From:
Justine Shrider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:16:28 -0600
>What's the best way to eat for someone who suffers from depression?

Hi Doris,

In her book THE SCHWARTZBEIN PRINCIPLE, the author Diana Schwartzbein, MD,
discusses serotonin and says to keep serotonin levels balanced (from a
nutritional standpoint), to incorporate these things in ones diet:

Avoid high carbs.
Eat enough protein.
Ingest a balance of fatty acids  omega 3, omega 6, gamma-linolenic.
Ingest  nutrients like these:
  B Vitamins--chicken eggs, green leafy vegetables, meat, nuts,  other
poultry,
    salmon, shrimp, spinach, sunflower seeds, tuna
  Calcium--almonds, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, dandelion greens, dulse,
    filberts, green leafy vegetables, kale, kelp, mustard greens,
     parsley, salmon (with bones), sardines, seafood, sesame seeds,
    turnip greens
  Magnesium--almonds, apples, avocados, cod, flounder, green leafy
      vegetables, halibut, salmon, sesame seeds, shrimp
  Tryptophan--almonds, shellfish, tuna, turkey

   Note: When I copied the above lists, I tried to include only the
    paleo foods among the foods she mentioned. (Please correct
    me, if I=B9ve included something that is not on the paleo diet.)

Avoid these things (which initially release, then deplete serotonin:
  alcohol, amphetamines, caffeine, carbohydrates (especially man-made).
  chocolate, cocaine and other recreational drugs, dexedrine, diet pills, ma
   huang,  methylphenidate hydrochloride (ritalin), Over-the-counter cold
    medications, Phenterimine (the =B3phen=B2 in Phen Fen), Sugar, Tobacco,
  Triiothyronine (Cytomel--active thyroid hormone)

I thought this was an interesting discussion in her book and I feel that it
supports the health-promoting qualities of the paleo diet. I'm new to this
diet and can't say much about it yet from personal experience but it's nice
to read about the value of eating natural foods.

Justine
Huntsville, AL