Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:39:17 -0700
<"Two and a half million years ago near a lake in Ethiopia, a humanlike
creature raised a stone and smashed it down on an antelope bone to get
at the marrow and fat inside.
     The hominid is long gone, but the broken antelope bone remains,
the earliest known evidence of a stone tool used to butcher an
animal.">

Thus begins an ABC News story about a new human ancestor recently
discovered... full text at
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/hominid990422.html.

>“You go into this period with, in essence, bipedal big-toothed chimps
and come out with meat-eating, large-brained hominids,” says Tim White,
the University of California, Berkeley, anthropologist who co-lead the
research. “That’s a big change in a relatively short time. We’d really
like to know more about what happened there.”>

Hmm... this is getting interesting. Very readable article, and a
sidebar attached entitled "What Early Hominids Ate". The main article
goes on to comment that one branc of the hominid family evolved big
teeth to chew on tough plants, and, uh... they're not our ancestors and
they eventually died out.

So much for my (already dubious and waning) hopes of the efficacy of
vegetarianism. :o/

--Donna