Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:31:46 -0700
Re: your question to the list, below.  I'd still eat meat.  If I could
hunt and get meat that way, it'd be my first preference.

I learned not too long ago that a bison farm in Wisconsin (where I get
meat) still uses old methods to raise and slaughter their animals.  It's
organic, all grass-fed and they surprise the animal at the moment of
slaughter (which is done by hand in an instant).  I believe the owner
when she says that they treat the animals with respect and dignity like
our ancestors did, getting to know them as they grow up.  A local
chicken farm operates the same way and delivers chickens and eggs to our
farmer's market each week.  Agreed that large-scale operations do things
very differently though.

The thing about the fatty acids is that omega 3 and 6, at least, need to
be nearly in balance - almost 1:1, 1:2 or as close as feasible for
optimal health.  This is easily achieved in wild caught fish or
grass-fed meat animals (or free-range fowl).  Taking the omega-3 pills
is only needed if you eat farmed fish or non grass-fed animals (usually
fed a non-natural diet of grains, etc., which raises the omega 6 levels
considerably).

-=mark=-