From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:23:04 -0500
Jana Eagle wrote:

> Hmmm... then how do you explain the stuff that comes out when people do
> colon cleanses and fasts?  The "colon cleansing industry" has a lot of
> convincing stuff to say.

Check out this link, and continue on to the next few pages:
<http://www.naturesbotanicals.com/S&J%20Publishing/The_Better_Body_Program/SJ_17But_What_About.htm>

And at this link you hear from a professor of pathology who has seen
thousands of intestines of probably very unhealthy followers of the SAD:
<http://www.quackwatch.org/cgi-bin/mfs/24/home/sbinfo/public_html/04ConsumerEducation/QA/mucoidplaque.html?29#mfs>

> > On enzymes, the enzymes in food
> > are supposed to have a very minor role in digestion.

> This goes contrary to everything I have read in my health research.

Yes, but what sources? If you've been reading Edward Howell, then you
might want to read through this series of pages:
<http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2b.shtml#enzymes>

> I think enzymes are vital and our bodies are depleated in their
> digestive enzymes in order to handle the large amounts of processed
> foods we eat during the course of our lives.

Considering the food people are eating, they probably would be better
off NOT digesting it :-). But seriously, most peoples' problems are not
because of not digesting their food, but because of the food choices
they're making. If everyone's lifetime "enzyme potential" was used up
early by eating cooked food, then why aren't most people dying of
starvation even as they eat more and more, with chewed but undigested
food and masses of gas (from colon microbe digestion) coming out the far
end? Also, fruits ripen and brown and meats tenderize on their own, and
some of that is due to the action of natural enzymes, but none of these
foods become anywhere near fully digested for you before you eat them.
That requires the particular and abundant enzymes of the pancreas and
small intestine.

Hilary