From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:53:13 -0800
The fish in the water at times form
>such a dense mass that they can be scooped into the boats directly from the
>sea.  Fishermen wading out in the surf and throwing their spears into the
>schools of fish usually impale one or several."  P.  262.

the native of the west coast in canada were harvsting herrings or eulachon
just by paddling thru the school with their canoe . The paddle was full of
sharp piece of wood and was used to harpon many fish at once during the
normal padling movment ending the inside the boat .

>"In many of the pimitive tribes living by the sea we found emphasis on the
>value of fish eggs.." which are easily gathered,  P. 263.

the natives here again were throwing in the water fallen trees for the
herring to lay their eggs on the branches ( easy to harvest )

>In discussing natives of the high Sierra in South America, he noted "it
was,
>accordingly, a matter of great interest that these Indians used regularly
>dried fish eggs from the sea" as well as kelp, traded in land.  P. 265.

dried kelp with fish eggs is a delicacy here.

jean-claude