Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:18:27 +1000
Hi all,

I have been very interested in the recent discussion about "vegetarian
Paleo".  Like many speaking up I have also found my way to Paleo from a
long history of vegetarianism (approx 15 years).  I am interested to
conduct a little research on this list with the ex vegetarians.  Could you
please answer the following questions:

1.  Why did you originally chose vegetarianism?
2.  What sort of vegetarian diets have you tried and what were the results?
3.  What health problems did you have at the end of your vegetarian
experience?
4.  How did you find out about the Paleo diet?
5.  How long have you been Paleo?
6.  What health improvements have you experienced on Paleo?
7.  What further health improvements do you wish to make?

OK here I go answering the questions:
1.  Why did you originally chose vegetarianism?
At the age of 19 I became involved in a spiritual group (Brahma Kumaris)
(involved for 12 years) who advocated a vegetarian diet for spiritual
reasons - no eggs, but allowed dairy products.  It was believed that eating
meat would keep you too much in the physical (too dense)- give you unwanted
desires etc.  We followed a strict rule of celebacy! Having moved on - I
still consider myself a very spiritually minded person (even though I now
eat meat!!)

2.  What sort of vegetarian diets have you tried and what were the results?
Started with vegetarian- no eggs but allowed dairy products (12 years) -
result was chronic candida. Macrobiotic (2-3 years) - result was digestive
troubles. Raw food/hygiene/vegan (2 years) - this included doing 2 long
water fasts - one was 21 days, the other 33 days - both were hell! -
overall result bloating and weight gain and insatiable hunger.

3.  What health problems did you have at the end of your vegetarian
experience?
Extreme food cravings - insatiable hunger - compulsive overeating. Severe
bloating problems.  Extreme moodiness - often felt frazzled and sensitive.
Rapid weight gain after "breaking out" from the raw food. Was still
suffering migraine type headaches - have had this for years and must say
that they have reduced in frequency and severity over the years.

4.  How did you find out about the Paleo diet?
After my apparent failure at making the raw food/hygiene diet work and
feeling so confused and not knowing what to try next - I read Ward
Nicholson's articles from the rawfood site which highlighted that many
people had problems with a fruitarian/raw food diet.  From this I found my
way to the Paleo site.  I have for the last 6 months still been
experimenting - reading books by Aajonus Vonderplanitz (We Want to Live),
Protein Power (Eades) and The Zone.  During this time I have been
experimenting with small amounts of dairy, bread and potatoes.  Have now
concluded that these items do give symptoms and am now ready to do the
Paleo experiment properly.

5.  How long have you been Paleo?
Have been properly paleo about 2 weeks, but sort of experimenting for last
6 months.

6.  What health improvements have you experienced on Paleo?
I am feeling much more balanced and satisfied.  I am easily satisfied after
my meals and don't have to overeat any more.  It was like my shut off
mechanism wasn't working on all raw - too many cravings - thinking about
food all the time.  I also have much better digestion - on raw I had
incredible gas and bloating.  I think that a raw food diet proved too much
roughage for me - that is why cooked vegies seem to suit me much better.  I
also have better recovery after doing exercise than on raw.  When I worked
out on raw - even though I was doing it regularly - every time the day
after I would feel sore muscles.  Now I can do quite a heavy workout -
including weights and I dont really feel my muscles sore.  I feel stronger
in my body.  More emotionally balanced and less frazzled.

7.  What further health improvements do you wish to make?
I would like to lose my excess fat (10-15 lbs) and tone up my flab.
Overcome blood sugar problems (hypoclycemia) - can't handle much fruit,
urinate too much.
Overcome period pain.
Completely get rid of my headaches.

Will give you all an update in 3 months, stay tuned......

Hope many of you ex vegies participate in this.  I think we can learn a lot
from each others experiences.

Cheers,
Larelle