From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:44:54 -0400
I am jumping in on this conversation very late, but wanted to add my 2
cents.

All cultures have a "religion", or set of beliefs, that is a product
of the
culture.  In turn the culture is shaped, in part, by the geography,
food
sources, methods of acquiring food, population density, etc.
Egalitarian
societies (hunter-gatherers) believe in spirits, or many "gods", that
are
all equal in power just as all individuals within the society are
basically
equal.  In many agricultural societies with complex economies,
monotheism
is prevalent.  Pastoral societies generally have religions based on a
hierarchy of gods.

The religion reflects the culture.  In pastoral societies, animal
sacrifices are made to appease/bribe the gods.  In agricultural
societies,
bread/cereal offerings are made.  This is a gross simplification, but
generally true.

"Coming Home to the Pleistocene" by Paul Shepard and "Man's Rise to
Civilization, As Shown by the Indians of North America from Primeval
Times
to the Coming of the Industrial State" by Peter Farb provide much more
detailed information regarding the subject of food, culture, and
religion.