From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 14:12:20 -0400
More info about mesquite;

I found this paper written on mesquite pods. They write that:

"Food for People Food for People
While algaroba is useful mainly for animal feed, I should like to point out
and stress its possibilities
for use as human food. Historical studies show that algaroba was used in
various Latin American
countries as human food by the indigenous people, not the least in
northeastern Brazil where
significant traces of its use as human food can be found. The composition of
the mesquite-pod flour
in Table 2 shows that while it is moderate in protein (about 8.3%), it has a
very high level of
carbohydrates (73%). The amino-acid profile of the mesquite pods presented
in Table 3 shows that
it is above the FAO requirements for children for every essential amino
acid. This is rather unusual
since most legume-seed proteins are deficient in the sulfur amino acids and
in tryptophan."

The title and URL for the paper (in PDF format) is at;

Prosopis juliflora Prosopis juliflora as an Alternative Source as an
Alternative Source
of Food in the World's Semiarid Areas of Food in the World's Semiarid Areas
Jose Inacio Da Silva
President, International Prosopis Association (IPA)
R. Jamaica, 188, Imbiribeira, Recife, Brazil

http://www.tamuk.edu/webuser/symposium/s3btxt.pdf

Another URL about mesquite is;

http://www.planeta.com/planeta/96/0596mxsquite.html

Hope that helps,