From:
Tom Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:00:03 -0500
Population control of any sort is not open for discussion here in the US, at
least not open to serious discussion at any level politically. Ecologically,
it is the root cause of all other problems, such as deforestation, species
loss, trash disposal, waste disposal, food production, and so on.

Here in Vermont, a state that takes great pride in its environmental
reputation, there is unchecked growth, and land-use planning of a serious
nature does not exist. In New York State there are some great land-use
planning laws in some areas, but they are under constant attack by those who
would see land as only useful if developed.

Our scientific knowledge about the effects of overpopulation is mitigated by
religious, social and cultural beliefs in the right of a couple to decide
for themselves just how many children they will have.

I do not think we will see her in the US any form of overt population
control (other than imigration control) in my lifetime. The birth rate here,
by the way, has just recently gone back over the 2.0 level considered to be
"zero population growth." That we keep living longer makes this an
inaccurate mathmatical function.

Tom Barber