From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 06:02:32 -0600
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:31:05 -0600, L <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The article below was sent to me by a concerned relative and is one of
> those stupid media statements that make no sense but convince the
> general population that if a study says so, it must be true.
> No mention of what else these men and women were eating besides eggs or
> how they know it was the eggs or the mechanism through which eggs
> increase the risk of diabetes.

The article said that "Eggs are .... rich in cholesterol, which in high
amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack, stroke and
diabetes."  However, according to the AMA's "Living with Diabetes" guide,
dietary cholesterol "can increase cholesterol in the blood, but not as
significantly as saturated fats and trans fats do." (See
http://books.google.com/books?id=f4bSc9K96CsC&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=%22dietary+cholesterol%22+blood&source=web&ots=49H1OxH-D4&sig=FYc8REJkiHSOYY4uDslzedajs9I&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result).
The Harvard School of Health says the same thing -- "the biggest influence
on blood cholesterol level is the mix of fats in your diet?not the amount
of cholesterol you eat from food."  (See
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/).
That's interesting because the study behind the article was supposedly
done at Harvard Medical School in Boston.  That also means it was most
likely tracking people on the standard american diet over twenty years --
which most likely included lots of saturated fat, trans fat, and perhaps
more importantly, sugar.

--
   Robert Kesterson