From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:11:36 +0000
Salt was only really introduced in the Neolithic era, not before. Salt-mines and the like required some form of civilisation. As for salty fish, I'm a bit of a sceptic re the aquatic ape theory. But the main point is that the widespread use of salt had nothing to do with any supposed benefits of salt re health, it was simply used because it was an effective preservative in an age without refrigerators.

Geoff

> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 07:23:59 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Include salt in definition?
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> While I'm still tweaking the verbiage in my definition, the tweaks
> are slowing down. Last night I did slip in palm oil as an acceptable
> oil from a fruit.
>
> Now I make no mention of salt. Yet. Personally I don't add salt, but
> as I eat food cooked by others I do get some added salt. I know
> Cordain says to not add. If one believes in the Aquatic Ape then
> plenty of salty fish was eaten.
>
> Not reading this list for many years leaves me in the dark as to how
> people here feel about salt.

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/