Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:16:04 -0600
I urge anyone interested in this subject to read a new book called A General
Theory of Love by Thomas Lewis, et al. He makes a case for the importance of
what he calls Limbic Resonance, that is, being with another attentive human
being, attuning ourselves to their responses, body language, breathing,
facial expression, in short, all the things that comprise their physical
presence. He cites exhaustive animal studies where when deprived of contact
with others of their species, the animal's brains did not develop and their
ability to raise healthy young was stunted. It's too long to go into here,
but healthy emotional development requires the support and presence of other
loving people. Internet relationships, television, and self-analysis aren't
the same thing. They serve their purpose and should not be abolished, but
they're not the same thing as being next to another living, breathing,
loving person. Why is solitary confinement one of the most horrible
punishments we can inflict on a person? It's a long and convincing case; I
don't want to give it short shrift here.

Sasha