From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 16:56:11 -0500
> I don't have any comparison figures.  About one percent of the
> adult population have actual food allergies.

I'm not sure about this as it depends upon the definition of food allergy.
I'm talking about more than just ige reactions. I'm talking about long term
problems that may be associated with foods, specifically auto immune
disorders and even atherosclerosis, as more evidence comes in that these are
tied to immune reactions, chronic inflammation etc.

> If by "addictive" you mean that we like them a lot, then I agree.
> If you mean something else, then I'd need clarification.

there is something else about peanuts that I don't see with roasted almonds
or almond butter. I go to a restaurant that has free unlimited peanuts and
the people I am with put them away like crazy. Totally anecdotal but
nevertheless something I observe.

> Maybe, but if I reject all foods that are known to cause *some*
> problems in *some* people, there won't be much that I can eat.

Agreed! I feel bad about tomatoes but evidence piles up that they are bad
for me, so I am adding this to the list of foods I can't eat :-(  Just an
example (lots of people apparently have trouble with tomatoes though.)

--Richard