From:
R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:36:02 -0500
<<This is confusing, because I thought that the hunger and craving one
experiences when eating high carb foods is related to the insulin response.
Thoughts?>>

Good point.

Excess insulin is supposed to trigger insulin resistance (the closing of
cells to insulin).  Since insulin ushers glucose into body's cells (liver,
muscles, fat), glucose is effectively shut-out of the body's cells at the
very same time that blood sugar and insulin levels are high (in the
bloodstream).[Eventually insulin does perform its glucose-transport activity
into the body's cells; except in the case of diabetes]

According to the Hellers in The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program,
insulin resistance causes the brain to receive less glucose during one of
these carbohydrate-loading events.  The result of lower glucose to the brain
is fogginess, weakness, and cravings for even more carbs! (hence the
addictive nature of carbohydrates)

The problem with the Hellers' theory of insulin resistance is that insulin
is not required to carry blood glucose into the brain's cells.  The brain
will always be able to receive blood glucose, even in a high insulin (and
high insulin resistance) environment.

It may be possible to starve the muscles of glucose during a
hyperinsulinemia incident, but its questionable whether this alone will
cause the symptoms so many of us are familiar with when we load up on high
glycemic carbs.

Which seems to leave the theory of opiod-like effects more credence.  But
even this theory doesn't really seem to account for why we often feel
sluggish, weak, and mentally foggy when both our blood sugar and insulin are
high.  Stimulation of beta-endorphins via opium-like substances (alcohol may
be another example) should leave us energized, happy, and sharp...(like
after 1 drink...)

Rob