From:
"C. Loon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:56:58 -0400

>No I don't think that's it, as i eat very few oranges and
>grapefruit..Hot flashes is a hormonal problem..my question is "Why the
>imbalance?"  When I was a Veggie I ate soy products which had something
>in it that helped...Is there something paleo that can do the
>samething...Anybody?
>

>>From the heart,
>   ~ Rainah ~

It sounds like you benefitted from the phytoestrogens found in soy. Have
you tried herbal medicine? There are a fair number of herbs that help
regulate hormones. Some phytoestrogenic herbs that I know of include dong
quai and black cohosh root. Apparently peony root enhances the estrogenic
effect of dong quai.

Although herbs aren't really paleo if in a tincture form (my preferred way
of taking herbs), they are if you prepare them as infusions (tea),
decoctions, or powdered form.

Personally, I found my hormonal imbalance improved when I ate "low carb" -
mostly proteins and veggies. I don't see any further improvement on the
paleo diet but it's hard to tell; I cheat a lot...

Cheers,

Cheyenne