From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:58:59 -0500
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:50:09 EST, Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The evidence continues to mount against certain carbohydrates in their
>roles
>in heart disease.

The article of tha man, Don Rosedale similarly writes abour CHO
in his very convincing article
( http://www.dfhi.com/interviews/rosedale.html ).
Actually *insulin* is the culprit, not carbs, but carbos are
what rises insulin.

Or not? Obviously not alone and the carb.load is not directly linked
to insulin elevation. As proposed by Susanne HA Holt, Janette C Brand Miller
and Peter Petocz, cited by http://venus.nildram.co.uk/veganmc/insulin.htm .

> High glycemic foods include potatoes, refined sugar,
>carrots, parsnips, white rice, whole and refined wheat, raisins, and
>bananas.
>Many of these foods are usually regarded as healthy, but this study calls
>this assumption into question. Remember that you can always slow down a
>high glycemic food’s absorption into the bloodstream by eating it with a
>healthy fat. So saute those carrots in butter, top those potatoes with
>butter and
>sour cream, and eat your whole grain breads with butter. Of course, avoid
>the white rice, white flour, and refined sugars--unhealthy foods no matter
>what is eaten with them."

Cooked carrots are listed by Mendosa with a GI of only 56.
Maybe cooking is assumed to be with some fat. 56 is not high.

Adding fat or protein to a carb meal should be an good method to lower
insulin response. Adding protein is the Sears/Zone approach to this, and
this is why zoners have to do all the computing with blocks and such.

I still don't have the Brand-Miller article mentioned above, which would
list us *insulin* scores instead of just glucose reactions (GI).

But to use GI data, I have compiled the Glycemic index data from Rick
Mendosa into a table , where the GI is divided by the energy the food has.
So, the list is a list of food items which were best able to yield food
energy with the minimum insulin elevation.
Peanuts were best.
(Of all items of the mendosa GI-List, I managed to find a corresponding USDA
food item for).
I've uploaded it to http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/Look_at_Gilist.html .

Anyone has the *Insulin Score* list or article?

regards,

Amadeus