From:
Aria Nadii <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:37:21 -0500
 Jose Carlos wrote:

>Good points, Aria.
>
>So, I agree with you in that it's all about cultural conditioning,
>and not really a gender issue. However, on second thoughts, I am not sure
>if you can talk simply about cultural conditioning here. When you use the
>word "conditioning", it seems you have something less than desirable in
>your mind, like brainwashing.

Your second thoughts are your own imagination running away
with you perhaps. I think you are reading too much into my use
of the term conditioning or perhaps "projecting" if I dare to use
another word that seems to be a button pusher. ;)

Never assume what I have in my mind. It usually isn't typical.

I placed no judgement on the word "conditioning". I stated it as a
simple term with no unsavory or negative connotations. This is not
a negative word to me. It's just a useful descriptive term.

Really, my only point is that I didn't think it was a "female" thing.

> Actually, all cultures on the earth rely on
>some degree of conditioning, for survival. It may be silly, unjustifiable,
>absurd, but conditioning is unavoidable. Well, maybe I'm trying to gild
>the pill, but I'd rather call conditioning traditions, because then it
>sounds a lot better. And I feel relieved.
>
>Then I'd say: we normally don't eat raw meat, because it is no longer a
>tradition. Tradition actually comes from "trahere", which is the Latin
>word for "to drag, to bring something from somewhere".
>
>At the same time, you know, every tradition admits certain raw animal
>foods, except maybe the Jewish tradition, which leans towards
>vegetarianism. I don't know what they think about raw milk, milk not being
>paleo anyway.

I am aware of all this. I come from a tradition that includes raw meat.
I can't
honestly say I've run into any Americans who don't think of my diet as weird
and gross. Cultural conditioning surely factors into that, since logic
doesn't
apply.

For example, I know so many Americans who would think nothing of eating
Caesar salad (which contains raw egg) or Steak Tartar (which is very
similar
to my native kibbe nayeh) or sausages (very similar to haggis) and yet find
those foods in parentheses to be weird or gross or dangerous..

I do actually have a friend who vapors at my raw egg condiments and yet
loves egg nog and Caesar salad. No logic applies. It's just what you are
used to and what you grow up being told. People scream at me about
salmonella, which as far as I know most people get from salad bars not
raw eggs. Where does that come from? Conditioning.

>Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're the bravest one in your household in
>terms of eating the raw stuff.

It isn't bravery at all, which brings us back around to the word
"conditioning' again and shows us that it is a useful term and not
inappropriate. I've been eating these things since I was a kid. They
are as ordinary to me as hot dogs and apple pie are to some people.
I am conditioned to these things from childhood as fine and safe and
tasty. Beyond that, I have conditioned myself to what I feel is natural
for my health and body.

    Aria