Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:29:15 -0400
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:56:29 -0500 Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Just do a search on paleodiet on "protein toxicity"
> or "protein poisoning". Since many years there are a plenty of references.
>
> Like:
> " (also 40  % of energy)...
> "Since the maximal protein ceiling in humans averages about 35% of total
> "energy  (4), ...
> (4) is:  Cordain L, Brand Miller J, Eaton SB, Mann N, Holt SHA, Speth JD.
> Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations in
> worldwide hunter-gatherer diets. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:682-92.

Haven't read the full text of that, but I know that the article cited is not
a clinical study of protein metabolism in man, it is a review of literature
on contemporary h-gs.  I don't care who used that as a backing for the
assertion, it simply will not do to substantiate the claim for an alleged
protein ceiling.  For substantiation, we need a lab or clinical study study
that shows that "toxicity" occurs if  a human ingests more than 35% protein,
and provides a list of symptoms and signs of "protein toxicity".  Phillip
Thrift appears to be exceeding your ceiling without toxicity, without ill
effects, so I have my doubts that such a ceiling is so low as you imply.
I don't have time to search the paleodiet archives.  You are the one making
the assertion so the burden of proof is on you, not on me.  Show me the
stuff.

> If you read http://www.price-pottenger.org/Articles/Aborigines.html
> and skip the first hunting emphasizing part, you reach what kinds of plants
> aboriginals ate.
> "gathered seed, fern roots , grass potatoe, nuts" and much more.

I recently read several resources re. tubers, and their prevalence in a
savannah environment (water storage organs for plants), and am inclined now
to agree that tubers probably were/are a significant part, even a staple, of
paleodiet.   Nuts would not be a source of carbs, but I agree that they are
important articles of diet.

> Then, the wild game is nearly a protein only resource. It's a lousy fat
> resource (2-4%).

I think you keep forgetting that there is more fat on game than what occurs
in the muscle meats.  Skin, eyes, brain, marrow, visceral fat, tongue, fat
pads on various parts of the body (like the fat pads on our feet and palms),
special fat depots (insurance against starvation)--this applies even to
desert animals (e.g. camels), there is more fat than you think, especially
in autumn--but not as much as some others think.   I get 100 percent grass
fed beef and lamb and there is a fair amount of extramuscular fat on it,
enough to make some very rich ground meat--but it is not nearly as rich as
grain fed meat.

Don