From:
Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:57:24 -0500
At 10:09 PM 1/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
><<From:    Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
>What are your goals?>>
>
>My goals are:
>#1 Never have to shoot up with insulin again.

You ought to check out 'Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution' by, of course, Dr.
Berstein.  It's fairly widely available and you should have no problem
finding it.
The book addresses problems and solutions for both IDDM and NIDDM.
Basically it is a low carb diet and a paleo diet can fit in well.

>#2 Never have to take BP medications again.
>#3 Between 15% and 20% Body fat (which will take care of #1 and #2)  I am
>currently at 31% BF (via PP calcn) weigh 295 lbs.  Goal weight currently is
>240ish.

A lifetime low carb diet may be ideal to solve these problems and reach these
goals.  This does not require ketosis but carbs would be severely restricted
as compared to SAD.  I would recommend a meat and vegetable diet per
'Neanderthin' and little or no fruit.  As a rough rule of thumb, you should
calculate your maintainence calories at 13-15 calories per pound.  To avoid
metabolic slowdown you should only cut calories by 10% at the most.  This
will work very well for most.  Sometimes a particular food sensitivity will
stall
loss and an 'elimination diet' will be required.

>#4  Win a TKD forms tournament in my age/weight class.

I think a good basic program with weights would work and would
help with the weight loss.  I believe you could make great progress
lifting for 30 minutes, 2 or 3 times a week.  I can email you with
suggestions as these discussions can be as inflammatory as
sex, politics and diets...  ;-)

>#5  World Peace.  (or at least less flaming on lists)
>At my current state of health and WOE #1 and #2 are in excellent shape.  I
>want to keep it that way though.
>
>Any suggestions are welcome.  Thank you in advance.

I hope this has been helpful,

   Wade Reeser    [log in to unmask]