From:
R Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 2009 13:53:00 -0700
Hi Marilyn,
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure that "what we really should be eating"
is as clear a concept as you suggest. For instance, many HG tribes relished
eating certain bugs. In fact, the thought of eating some of the foods that
were highly prized in some cultures starts my stomach churning (ex: The
brain matter from dead relatives/loved ones). Even your comments about raw
meats and raw organ meats suggest a revulsion that is the result of your
having been socialized into a set of cultural values. Your wariness of a
high fat diet is similarly a response to your socialization. There is a huge
religious component in this socialization process.

I have eaten, and enjoy, raw meats, but it was a difficult adjustment at
first.  Prior to that I found the prospect quite revolting. I don't eat raw
meat any more. My wife would probably kill me :-) but I have no problem with
the idea.

However, one of the greatest benefits of cooked meats is that they take much
longer to spoil than raw meats, so HGs would be able to eat for longer
periods between kills. I doubt that particular advantage escaped the notice
of our intelligent ancient progenitors for very long, so I suspect that
cooking has long been a part of our dietary heritage/evolution. Thus, I'm
not entrenched on either side of the raw food perspective, but I strongly
suspect that your response to raw meats is a reflection of your
socialization. This latter is largely driven by religious beliefs and
practices.

Best Wishes,
Ron