From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:57:44 -0500
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Marianne Fuller wrote:

> When I said a few of the books I've read (if I remember correctly, Atkins
> and Audette) made me think counting calories would not be necessary on their
> diets, I don't think they were saying that calories don't matter. I think
> they were perhaps just saying that once you are eating the food your body
> needs rather than empty processed food, you don't overeat. Not sure. I do
> remember Audette saying counting calories would be a thing of the past, for
> whatever reason. I'd have to read those sections again before any poor
> author gets labeled irresponsible.

As a general thing, I think you're right.  The Eades, in both
Protein Power books, make a point of stating that calories *do*
matter, and in fact they restrict certain low-carb foods, such as
nuts and cheeses, for that reason.  I think Atkins, at least in
recent editions, concedes the same point.  Ray Audette,
unfortunately, does neglect to point out that calories play a
role in weight loss and weight gain.  He writes, "For our
purposes, calories in don't equal calories out." (p. 12)  Also,
"Many people seek to lose excess body fat by reducing the amount
of energy available to their bodies through a regimen of caloric
restriction or exercise or both.  These simple solutions almost
never work." (p. 22)  Pointing out the discipline involved in
implementing the diet, Audette writes, " Any sacrifice will be
compensated for by the ability to eat as much as you want,
whenever you want." (p. 26)

The "as much as you want, whenever you want" promise is a false
one, and Audette himself takes it back on page 85, where he
advises limitation of fruits.  Even with no fruits, however,
there are plenty of us who either do not lose weight or gain
weight if we consume unrestricted amounts of fatty protein.  So
yes, I'd say that "as much as you want, whenever you want" is
irresponsible.  Some of us just "want" too much.

Todd Moody