From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 02:05:20 -0600
A lot of people buy a dehydrator, make jerky once (and perhaps one batch of
banna chips) and then the machine takes it place next to the fondue warmer
in the garage.

I have bought at least 5 dehydrators at garage sales.  Most I got for $5
although my current one (a very deluxe virgin machine) cost $15.  I sold all
the others to readers at cost.

The heating elements in the smaller units consume about 40 watts so a light
bulb on a dimmer switch in a rack (small window screens are great) box
monitored with a simple thermometer should do the trick.  Add a small
(non-plastic) fan to speed up the process.   A simple screen box to keep off
the bugs will do the job if placed in sunlight and wind almost anywhere.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
http://www.neanderthin.com