From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:48:13 +1100
Repost: I didn't see this message make it to the list.
Sorry if you've all seen it and I just missed it somehow!

At 10:44 +1000 2/2/03, Phosphor wrote:

 >>Fish (especially cold water fish) fat is highly unsaturated for >your very
 >own argument that saturated fats are more inclined >to form solids.
 >let's be more accurate: fish oils are about 1:1 in PUFA:SFA.
 >salmon fat will be obviously more SFA.  blubber is about 2:1 SFA:PUFA.

OK, let's be accurate. The USDA database lists wild atlantic salmon
as: 0.981% SFA, 2.103% PUFA and 2.539 PUFA. These figures plainly
refute your assertion.

 >>So if paleo man was a big fish eater, their diet would be even >more
 >unsaturated than you would have us believe.
 >
 >the quantities of DHA/EPA were definitely much more than in modern diet.
 >maybe 15-20 grams in coastal dwelling tribes.

And what percentage of total fat intake would that be in your opinion?

 >I'm contesting that the diets were *low* in SFA.

Low is relative to your inbuilt world view, and is as good as
meaningless in this context. What do you believe the "ideal" paleo
diet would  of, in grams of carb, protein, SFA, MUFA and PUFA per day?

 >of fat, they had considerable supplies of SFA. if they didnt have good
 >supplies of fat, they starved [rabbit or otherwise].

Carbs can also prevent the onset of protein toxicity provided they are
available in sufficient quantities to prevent energy from protein
exceeding 40%.

  ...R.