From:
Monique DuRant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:41:54 -0500
Hilary wrote:

> it reports on the work of the famous
> paleopathologist Ruffer and at the end of the article relates his
> speculations as to the cause of Ancient Egyptians high levels of artery
> disease. He rules out tobacco and syphilis, since they had neither. He
> wants to blame meat consumption, but has to admit that even the
> wealthier classes who were mummified (and had the arteriosclerosis) had
> a coarse, mainly vegetable diet. He winds up saying that the causes are
> as "obscure" as they are today, and I would like to suggest that he just
> didn't know about hyperinsulinemia due to starch-based diet. Another
> possibility is that gliadin from whole-wheat was causing
> autoimmune-related artery disease.

Hilary,
This is interesting because over the past couple of years several medical
researchers have been SHOCKED to find out how frequently common pathogens
such as CMV and c.pnuemonae cause  vascular disease. We can only guess at
what ancient populations might have been infected with, but it's safe to say
ruling out syphillis means nothing. However my saying that does not suppose
diet isn't a primary factor (as some immunologists are beginning to claim).
Nothing has a more powerful influence on the immune system than diet
*particulary* adequate protein and proper lipid composition.

Amadeus wrote:>
> > There is no danger of a protein deficit or taurine or what the author
> > of protein power of course comes to mind first.

Amadeus,
Actually, a lot of former vegans have neurological damage from taurine
deficiency. So do other Americans who exist on sugary, low fat diets
(exactly the type diet being pushed on our babies at the time they need
taurine most!) Then, when something goes wrong, we have a solution: drugs! -
which can never take the place of a required nutrient. Please don't anyone
be ignorant of the fact that there are many people who have to have taurine
IV's every week. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who objects to
eating meat out of compassion, but we can't ignore the harm it can do to
people who are not "genetically compatible" with vegetarianism.
Monique