From:
Sisyphus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:06:33 -0500
Am I the only one here who has noticed the apparent relationship between
paleo and candida?

We've seen it here before and Kristina brought it up again, and I know
probably a couple dozen people who have discovered candidiasis after going
paleo or atkins.  We had a little bit of a forum discussion about it over
at GP a few months ago, and I have done some research on my own (I joined
several candida groups and read a bunch of Dr Crook's stuff).  I've come to
the conclusion that many of us - regardless of diet - are running around
with candida overgrowth.  I've read that candida establishes itself in a
newborn within the first few months of life (I must take that statement
with a grain of salt, but suffice it to say, it's very common.)  The idea
is that we all have candida albicans in our guts, but it is ordinarily kept
in check by friendly bacteria.  So the problem wasn't really caused by diet
per se, although years of SAD certainly kept the yeast well-fed, and the
rest of your body was numb to the problem.  (Plus it turns out killing the
friendly bacteria - a side effect of antibiotics - wasn't a good idea.)

So anyway, I believe that when a person begins cutting the sugars & carbs
out of their diet, a number of systemic changes occur as the body finds its
new balance.  And in the process, sometimes the candida either (a) gets
aggressive due to being suddenly starved, or (b) you simply become more
aware of it because your gut is regaining its natural inner
sensitivity.  In either case, what was once a quiet parasite becomes an
angry infestation.

I don't want to derail the group but I have more information for anyone who
feels this might be an issue for them.  So feel free to write me offlist,
or contact me through GP.

- S.

GettingPrimitive.com - A Natural Inquiry
..... Health, Diet, Society and Survival
........ for the Humans of Poison Planet
........ http://www.gettingprimitive.com