From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:14:26 -0500
Greetings, Paleopeople!

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I am female, age 54,
married, no children.  I go by the name "tsayonah" (say
"chai-yo-nah") which is Cherokee for ThreeBears and is my
given tribal name.  Here is a list of my diagnoses BEFORE
paleo: type II diabetes, major depression, bi-polar
disorder, obesity, multiple allergies, sun-induced rash
forming small blisters, osteo (scan read at -2.85 ie the
bones of an 80 year old) and I've lost 4 inches in height,
spinal disc degeneration, asthma, premature atrial heart
contractions, chronic gastric ulcerations, severe diarrhea,
severe fluid retention (as much as 20 pounds at times with
ankles that hung in scallops), chronic fatigue,
fibromyalgia, rheumatoid or other (there's an argument)
arthritis....
My health insurance is up to $2000 (yep - THREE zeroes) a
quarter.  I was taking over $400 of pills per month, many of
them to counteract the side effects of the other pills etc
ad naseum.  Of course I was depressed as it seemed my useful
active life was over.  I have a handicap permit for my car
and usually walked with a cane and rode the "golf carts"
whenever possible when shopping.

Around the first of this year a doctor friend asked out of
the blue, "Have you ever been tested for celiac?"  I hadn't
and started researching.  Discovered most of my symptomology
was immune system related.  My weight was not because I was
secretly cheating, which was what docs had been telling me
since my first diet pills at age 7.  Nor were the teeth that
rotted no matter what I did.  What a relief!!  My diabetes
was often unresponsive to insulin injections.  One morning I
found it off the scale (over 550 when normal is 80-120) and
took 50 units, a whopping does, without effect.  By accident
I discovered I could lower my blood sugar with
antihistamines (docs continue to deny this altho I have
documented it).  I decided rather than continue to be either
bankrupted or killed by the allopaths, I would quietly
experiment.  I stopped the useless allergy shots and got
some allersodes.  I stopped ALL the other meds.  I began
shaping my diet toward what I knew had been eaten by my
Cherokee ancestors.  Surprise, I got better by leaving out
the wheat and rice and white potatoes. That was this Feb.
About three weeks ago I discovered paleo eating.  The
Cherokee were farmers, growing corn, beans and squash.  I
dropped those and the dairy.  All my symptoms are gone and I
am off all medications.  I still do the allersodes and some
homeopathic remedy.  I have energy again!  I have dropped
30+ pounds in about 4 months after being plateaued at 220
for years no matter how strict a diet I followed.  I eat
what and when I want without measuring as long as it meets
the stone or sharp stick criteria <G>  If I cheat or make a
mistake, I get most of my symptoms back for several days,
not to mention incredible craves.  I even dreamed about
eating a Wendy's classic cheeseburger - oooh, the bun, the
cheese!  Am currently off beef as it has made me ill;
perhaps because here in Iowa all beef is grain fed, even the
"organic."  Have found a source for grass fed buffalo and do
my own free range chickens for meat and eggs.  We are
considering raising a beef for butcher but dunno if I could
eat someone with whom I am personally acquainted. <wry G>

I want to thank those who have posted recently re symptoms
from cheating etc.  Sorry to say it, but I felt right at
home.  Those interested in the weight loss may want to know
what I eat:  this morning, half a melon;
chicken-bacon-avacado salad, no dressing, and a tomato for
lunch; am planning on trying Ray's recipe for avocado shrimp
for dinner (got a good deal on some avocados, can you
tell?)  That is fairly typical.  Will probably have some
asparagus and a fruit with dinner as well.  With my history
of allergies, I try not to eat something more than one day
in a row, thereby hoping to avoid more sensitivities
cropping up.

Sorry about the length, folks.  I promise not to talk so
much in the future.  Thanks for listening!
--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee