From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 07:21:39 -0500
What little I know of paleo life comes from tales of my
Cherokee ancestors.  Even as early as the first contact with
Europeans about 500 years ago, they were combined
hunter/gather and farming.

There were special meals (feasts) that were either
ceremonial or in honor of  a visitor or a special deed done
by someone.  Other than these, meals were mostly a case of
eat when you're hungry.  The food was usually started
cooking in the morning by the women and allowed to simmer or
roast slowly all day.  When a family member felt hungry s/he
helped him/her self.  Reports from visiting Euros often
complained that Cherokee food was "overcooked."  Foods were
mostly soup/stew, roasted meats and boiled or roasted
veggies and breads.  This eat when hungry idea agrees with
what Ray advises in *Neanderthin*.

On the other hand, I have seen and heard a number of
anthropologist types speculate that the people ate largely
when there was food (such as a fresh kill) and fasted
between times.  Maybe so real early, but I think humans
learned early how to preserve foodstuffs.  JMHO.

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee