From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:56:19 -0700
Okay, THIS is meant to go to the list.  No real point to this message,
however.  Just an editorial rant.

So I'm off to the health food store to get a couple of items not available
at the Piggly Wiggly.  Each time I go, I'm more annoyed than the last.

Everything you can imagine is made of soy, soy, SOY.  That, and sugar is
EVERYWHERE!  I go to get stevia and there are all sorts of 'natural'
sweeteners.  Oh, please!  Brown sugar, fructose, sucrose, molassas, yadda
yadda yadda.  And there's a whole SECTION of candies.  What the hell's
healthy about THAT?

Tomorrow I'm doing some recipes for a low-carb holiday photo shoot on
Monday.  One ingredient is soy protein or whey (I know, not paleo, these
recipes are low-carb, not paleo; no criticism, please).  There were at least
a dozen different protein concoctions.  Hey, here's an idea!  Eat some MEAT!
  Duh!  Several of the powders bragged about being vegan.  So, you wike da
widdle animals?  News flash: YOU are an animal, too!  And an omnivorous
animal.  Do what God/Nature intended and eat some meat.

Also, this whole touchy-feely atmosphere annoys me, too.  I'm sorry, but
Soy, Inc. and all the other 'health food' companies aren't much better than
the Krafts/R.J. Reynolds/Pilsburys out there.  They all want my money.  I'm
reminded of PETA's recent be-a-vegetarian-for-a-day campaign and website.
The message was "meat production is BAD!"  They cited health and
environmental risks.  The site also had links to all the corporate sponsors.
  Sorry, but these companies are funking up the planet, too.  If nothing
else, don't try to pass off this "healthfest" as some sort of public
service; the campaign was advantageous to its supporters.  Do you think they
did it just because they care?  No, they did it to sell more tofu, etc.  Is
there anything wrong with that?  No.  But let's call a spade a spade.  It
was an ad campaign as much if not more than a political/public service
campaign.

Like I said, no real point here.  But I do wonder; does a trip to the
'health food' store make anyone else roll his or her eyes?  Yes, they have
organic produce and free-range meat.  But at least half of what they sell is
not what we should be eating.  I'm sure if the staffers knew my definition
of health food, they'd rip me a new corn chute.  I'm seriously thinking of
finding what I need on line and avoiding health food stores altogether.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO